Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:25:44 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From: Raoul Bianchi <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Fwd: The movie "The Beach"
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To: Ian McDonnell <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]

Dear Ian,

I don't recall advocating the banning of anything, quite
the contrary. My point is that films cannot be considered
as just throwaway pieces of entertainment but rather
communicate a complex array of meanings which are
mediated by the context of their production.  Why
do people like Pierre Bourdieu campaign vociferously
to highlight the ability of the market to coerce and
regulate the parameters of thought if these products
of consumer capitalism are so benign?

Maybe I am just jaded by London's increasingly vacuous,
postmodern, ironic, consumer culture that I still think we
need to take culture seriously in terms of its ability to
'produce consent'. Marxist-Leninists were as frightened of
a critical culture (witness Fidel Castro's treatment of
homosexuals and Tomas Gutierrez Alea's critical response
in the film 'Strawberry and Chocolate') as indeed are the
owners of our mega-cultural industries. All we need do is
continue to highlight these contradictions, not ban or
define any alternative worldview.

yours,

Raoul

On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 22:09:27 +1100 Ian McDonnell
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> best
>

> At 06:23 PM 2/8/00 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >The refrain 'it's just a movie' always worries me somewhat
>
> >given that it tends to ignore the politico-cultural
>
> >configurations of contemporary capitalism within which
>
> >such commodities are 'produced' and 'consumed'. Of course
>
> >this doesn't mean to say that there should not be room for
>
> >pure entertainment value, yet we cannot ignore the fact
>
> >that films, leisure pursuits, the media etc constitute an
>
> >ideological terrain upon which the dominant values of
>
> >consumer capitalism are subtley yet powerfully reinforced.
>

> >To paraphrase Stuart Hall here, the media (cinema) are key
>
> >actors in the production of consent - they regulate the
>
> >context within which think about the world around us. Thus,
>
> >we are talking about power rather than 'authenticity'.
>
> >Films are important, the more we say they are not only
>
> >reflects the conservative currents flowing through our
>
> >times and the success of the 'culture industries' in
>
> >appropriating the terrain of autonomous/radical cultural
>
> >expression.  The film tells us more about the production
>
> >and exchange of audiences than it does about tourism in
>
> >Thailand - should we be surprised at that?
>

> >Ironically however, it is probably only thanks to the media
>
> >coverage of the film that the press reported the success of
>
> >local pressure groups in Goa to crack down on the

> >rave-scene (Mon 7th Feb)!
>

> >Incidentally, I would be more concerned about the portrayal
>
> >of war than I would back-packers in the context of cinema.
>
> >One only has look at the centrality of war films in
>
> >western, particularly American, cinema to see how they
>
> >serve reproduce the prevailing configurations of power and
>
> >values of militarism/conquest in recent history.
>

> >regards,
>

> >Raoul
>

> >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> >Dr. Raoul Bianchi
>
> >Research Fellow Tourism, Culture & Development
>
> >Centre for Leisure & Tourism Studies
>
> >Stapleton House
>
> >University of North London
>
> >277 Holloway Road
>
> >London N7 8HN
>
> >###################

> >> Shawn Murphy

> >> Tim Wallace
>
> >> Box 8107, Dept. of Sociology & Anthropology
>
> >> North Carolina State University
>
> >> Raleigh, NC 27695-8107
>
> >> 919-515-9025; fax: 919-515-2610
>

> >Tel. 0207 607 2789 Ext.3308

> McDonnell

> Director BA (Tourism Management)

> University of Technology, Sydney
>
> PO Box 222 Lindfield 2070
>
> NSW, Australia
>

> Phone 2 61 99187369 home
>
>            2 61 95145499 office
>
> http://www.uts.edu.au/fac/business/leisure_tourism/leisure.htm

Dr. Raoul Bianchi
Research Fellow Tourism, Culture & Development

--- End Forwarded Message ---