I have to agree with Alexander. Your control group has normal cortex,
and your patient group has atrophied cortex. Spatial norm of all these
brains to a standard template would likely result in the results you
have recieved.

You can try making your own template from the 40 patients. Coregister
them all, and then average them. Spatially normalize that brain using
12-parameter linear affine and the template bounding box.

Use this as the basis for spatial norm of all patients and the controls.
However, you may have exactly the opposite problem as before...but it's
worth a try.

Good luck,

James

--