Dear everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would have any comments on this --

I'm trying to compare two models in terms of the fit they provide. In
this case the two models have the same number of regressors, but
they differ in the way the regressors have been constructed - in one case
the canonical HRF was used to model each event (it's an event-related
study) while in the second case, the canonical HRF was convolved with a
square-wave modelling each trial's response duration (that is, each
event was treated as a very short block, its duration was determined
according the the subject's RT, and it was then convolved with the
canonical HRF).

Since  trials vary considerably in response times (range apprx. 2 - 14 s),
I strongly suspect that the second model should fit the data much
better. But how would one test this formally?

Maybe one possibility would be to sum the residual mean-square estimates
for all subjects as given in the ResMS.img files, thus producing two
images files:

for the first model:
Sum_ResMS_1 =  (ResMS for Subj No1) + (ResMS for Subj No2) + ...

and for the second model:
Sum_ResMS_2 =  (ResMS for Subj No1) + (ResMS for Subj No2) + ...

and then perform an F-test,

F = Sum_ResMS_1 / Sum_ResMS_2,

with df1 = df2 = the sum of the error df from the subjects' analyses

and then, for voxels where F > F_crit, conclude that the second model
provides a better fit.

Does that seem a valid possibility? One somewhat worrisome step is that
summing the degrees of freedom for all subjects can inflate the df used
for the fit test - for instance in my case I have to perform the F-test
with df1 = df2 = 10410. Does this change the nature of inference?

Any comments or thoughts on this would be strongly appreciated - thanks a
lot.

-k.
Kalina Christoff 		      Email:  [log in to unmask]
				      Office: Rm.478; (650) 725-0797
Department of Psychology	      Home:   (650) 497-7170
Jordan Hall, Main Quad		      Fax:    (650) 725-5699
Stanford, CA 94305-2130		      http://www-psych.stanford.edu/~kalina/