If you use the modulation, then it should be based on the same deformation
field that you used to write your spatially normalised images.  E.g., if you
used the _sn3d.mat based on the T1 image to write the spatially
normalised images, then you would use the same one to determine how much
local contraction/expansion has occurred.

What processing steps have you used?  It is best to coregister the original
image pair together first.  Then decide which image you want to use to
estimate the spatial normalisation parameters from and use the same
parameters to write spatially normalised versions of both images.  In an
ideal world, the spatial normalisation would be able to simultaneously
estimate the warps by matching the T1 image to a T1 template, and the
T2 image to a T2 template.  This is something that I may get around to
implementing.

Bets regards,
-John