Hi Chris and Bing Fang,

I'd just like to add that Emmanual Stamatakis presented a poster at HBM2000 In
San Antonio (S527), "Nonlinear spatial normalisation of SPECT images with SPM99"
and concludes that using linear plus non-linear options (with 2 x 2 x 2 basis functions),
appears to give the least error between template and object image. He used a custom
SPECT template.

However, my experience of using the supplied SPM PET template with SPECT images has been
satisfactory - I explored the difference between a custom SPECT and supplied PET template
some time ago and found no major differences between normalisation results.  I know there are
some on this forum who advocate using a custom made template for very abnormal brains, but we
also used the supplied PET template in a published study of elderly depression and dementia with
great success, and showed differences between both diagnostic groups and a group of elderly controls
which were in agreement with the gold standard ROI analysis. See:

"A voxel-based analysis of cerebral perfusion in dementia and depression of old age"
Ebmeier KP, Glabus MF, Prentice N, Ryman A, Goodwin GM
Neuroimage. 1998 Apr;7(3):199-208.

Regards - Mike
Mike Glabus, PhD,
Visiting Fellow in Functional Neuroimaging
Unit on Integrative Neuroimaging,
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, NIMH, NIH
Building 10, Rm 4C101, 9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD, 20892-1365, USA
Tel: + 301 496 7864    FAX: + 301 496 7437