Dear Paul,

> I have a simple question (I hope). I have completed a multi-subject (6)
> multi-condition (3) fmri study. I have completed individual analysis
> and am working with a fixed effect group analysis because my degrees of
> freedom are too small. I am interested in the best method to determine
> the area(s) that are activated in the study population across all three
> conditions. In other words, what are the common areas activated across
> the three conditions in this study. If anyone has suggestions I would
> be grateful.

A conjunction analysis would be appropriate but would necessitate each
active condotion being referred to its own control, to ensure three
orthogonal contrasts.  Conjunctions are specified by holding down the
'control' key during contrast selection.

> Another unrelated question. What is the best technique to make a mask
> image to use for ROI analysis. I have some data that I want to apply a
> mask for analysis and for display but do not know how to make a
> mask.img. I know the coordinates and the size of the areas I would like
> to include in the analysis.

I think Mathew (Brett) has written routines for this that are
incorporated (by Andrew) into SPM99.  Mathew's original code allows for
creation of the masks and he may comment.

I hope this helps - Karl