Thanks Karl, Jack,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Masking using the segmented cortex as a template does sound
like an interesting proposition - and perhaps more valid than a
post-hoc ROI analysis. Though I do have some ideas
about which areas might show a BOLD response, I was just
having an initial "look see" at the data using random effects.

Prior to performing the random effects (RE) analysis, I had a
look with fixed effect (FE) analysis - which gave several significant
areas of activation (corrected-p). The finding that
these areas vanished with the RE analysis wasn't unexpected,
but when I dropped the significance level I didn't obtain
the same pattern of activation (as in the FE analysis). Is this
to be expected? I guess it may have been a consequence of the
FE results being biased by a single subject (?) - or am I
missing the point?

Is there a good reference for RE/FE analysis?

Thanks again,

Jon.
Jonathan Brooks Ph.D. (Research Fellow)
Magnetic Resonance and Image Analysis Research Centre
University of Liverpool, Pembroke Place, L69 3BX, UK
tel: +44 151 794 5629      fax: +44 151 794 5635