Dear SPM Group:
I just tried running some very poor quality PETT IV data through MEDx/SPM
using proportional scaling, a grand mean scaling of 50, and a gray matter
threshold of .80. The analyses failed, however, and two error messages were
generated:
read of tile failed
released unopend file descriptor: -1

Along with these error messages, my normalized image data came up as a
series of "sad faces" within the outline of the brain images. My questions
are:

Would anyone have any idea what these error messages mean and why I got
them? And under what circumstances would one expect to see sad faces in
normalized image data (i.e. why may my statistical analysis have failed)?

Strangely enough, when I tried z-score normalizing the same images in
another program and running the resulting data through SPM again, the
analysis seemed to work. Would anyone have any idea why this might be, and
should I trust these results considering that the previous analysis failed?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Leann Kinnunen
University of Chicago
Department of Psychology