Dear Alex,

The design matrix for you study could be structured in the following way:
For a given subject, each level of drug may be represented in a single
column that includes the 6 repetitions (see columns 1 to 5 in simplified
matrix below).

I assume that the reversal condition is not of interest. If you wish to
find areas increasingly responsive to drug level (excluding reversal), your
contrast would be 4 numbers from -1 rising to +1 in equal intervals, such
that the mean is zero. To find areas in which activity declines with dose,
one would use the inverse contrast.

You might need to consider the following confounds.

1. The first is the overall confounding effects of repeated drug
administration on activity (e.g. perhaps a voxels response to the drug
potentiates/habituates every time the drug/reversal is administered). This
is taken care of by high pass filtering applied in SPM.

2. The second is the confounding effects of repeated administration of drug
or reversal at a specific dose (e.g. perhaps potentiation/habituation is
dose-specific). If we assume that this effect is linear with respect to the
repetition of a specific dose, one can introduce user-specified linearly
changing regressors that model this effect. Each repetition of each drug
level can ascribed a value rising linearly from 1 to 6, in the same column,
to represent a linear change in activity across blocks (see columns 1 to 6
in the design matrix below). Inclusions of these covariates will minimise
the presence  of drug dose x repetition interactions.

3. A third, more subtle potential confound may arise if you have not
administered the doses in a random order (this may not have been
technically possible for your study). The dose order may influence your
activations over and above the value of the dose. If the drug is
administered in increasing doses, there may be (perhaps cumulative) effects
that explain the activity in a voxel that are different from the effects of
doses administered in a random order). In this case, it is not possible to
disentangle the confounding effects of dose order from dose value.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

Narender Ramnani.

Design Matrix:
Ones and zeros represent blocks

Drug Level  Confounds
0 1 2 3 4 R 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 first block of no-drug
0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 first block of reversal
1 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0
0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 0
0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2
1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0
0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0
0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3
1 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 0
0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 4
1 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 0
0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 5 0
0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 5
1 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 0 0 0 0 last block of no-drug
0 1 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 0
0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 6 0
0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 6 last block of reversal