| > I have 160 FMRI volumes of varying contrast that I would like to
| > realign. Is it possible to use the Mutual Information cost function in
| > the Realignment routine ? The way the defaults are set out seems to
| > imply that MI is only available for Coregistration.
| Coregistration is the same as realignment, so the answer is yes. The
| warning "only for coregistration" is that you cannot use MI to normalise
| images.

Mutual information registration is not available by pressing the <Realign>
button though.  There may also be a few other practical difficulties -
apart from speed.  I haven't done any evaluations, but the current
implementation in SPM99 may not have the sub-voxel accuracy that is
necessary for time series realignment.  I may need to do a bit more
work on refining the interpolation.

Best regards,
-John