In a message dated 12/19/00 1:27:03 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
<<  I haven't heard of HFE.  Can you enlighten me? >>

Hi Al:
I'm sure you have heard of "emulsions" - more formally known as "emulsified
asphalt" - which are a combination of liquid asphalt binder, water, and an
emulsifying agent.  They are used for many purposes.
I would refer you to the Asphalt Institute publication MS-19.

A High Float Emulsion (HFE) is an asphalt emulsion that passes an additional
high float test.  There are many potential grades.  Again, I would refer you
to the MS-19 for more detailed information.

All Asphalt Institute publications may be ordered over the internet at:
www.asphaltinstitute.org.

Best regards,
Stephen R. Mueller, PE
former AI District Engineer