I think that in the case of consumer price indexes the UK and Europe will
follow the US lead.

The US lead was given by the Boskin Report on the US Consumer Price Index.
This Report was roundly attacked at the time because there was fear that its
finding that the CPI overstated inflation because it failed to take into
account quality improvements would be applied retrospectively.

But now that fear has diminished statisticians will be keen to incorporate
Bostin's logic.   Statistical theory has never had much to contribute to the
development of price indexes, but Boskin has provided a theory or an
ideology from economics that statisticians will find difficult to resist.

The subject certainly need opening up and discussion.

Ray Thomas, Social Sciences, Open University
Tel: 01908 679081 Fax 01908 550401
Email: [log in to unmask]
35 Passmore, Milton Keynes MK6 3DY