You will have noticed that the address of this list has changed from
mailbase to [log in to unmask]

This signifies the outcome of an inter-governmental competitive tendering
process that has resulted in a kind of globalisation of the list.   Everyone
hopes and expects that the transition will be smooth and gradual.  As with
changing telephone codes - for a period of up to six months there will be
automatic translation of Mailbase commands and addresses into the
corresponding LISTERV commands and addresses.   But after that time we will
be expected to have become familiar with the new facility.

The LISTSERV software is supported by CLRC - the Central Laboratories of the
Research Councils. The acronym JISC stands for Joint Information System
Committee. The JISC are responsible for the JANET physical network that has
supported the mailbase system and other forms of inter-university telecoms
for some decades.

The LISTSERV software has a greater range of facilities than the Mailbase
system, and has become a worldwide standard.   We are now using a system
that with 42,000 public lists .   The downside is that LISTSERV software
that was originally developed in the 1980s to run on IBM computers and it
does not seem to have quite the user-friendliness of later software.  (If
you want to know all and really want to be in control you can get copies of
the LISTSERV manuals that are downloadable from the website at
<http://www.lsoft.com/>)

Most of us can expect to get guidance to smooth over the transition.   Just
note that messages to the list should be addressed to
[log in to unmask] and messages about joining and leaving the list need
to be sent to [log in to unmask] rather than to Mailbase.    For
matters such as problems with changing your address and posting files to the
list you should continue to contact me as list-owner.   But if you have any
other problems with the transition you should first have a look at the JISC
website at <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/contact_us.htm>.

Ray Thomas, Social Sciences, Open University
Tel: 01908 679081 Fax 01908 550401
Email: [log in to unmask]
35 Passmore, Milton Keynes MK6 3DY