> >We are therefore asking for narrative accounts of counter-productive
> >systems that people have encountered as a preliminary source
> of data. We
> >are sure there are plenty in universities. Two examples may help to
> >illustrate what can happen .....

There is one example that will shortly affect all members of the list - and
other mailbase lists.    Members will have to change the address from
mailbase to something called jisc-mail - or something like that.    Only a
minor inconvenience.   But if we ask why this has happened
we find that it is a quite irrational example of the operation of what Jay's
message calls 'internal quasi-markets' in academia.

The mailbase system was established at the University of Newcastle and has
been run from there for about a decade with funding from the Higher
Education Funding Council.    HEFC decided that they might be paying
Newcastle too much, so put out the running of the system to tender.

The suprising winner of the tendering system was the Central Laboratory of
the Research Councils (CLRC).   Suprising because CLRC gets most of its
money from the Engineering and Science Research Councils, and the CLRC
mission statement is wholly concerned with
promoting science and technology and Britain's competitiveness.   See
<http://www.clrc.ac.uk/Home/>

The HEFC decided that because the CLRC tender was lower than than of
Newcastle that ' the management of the University of Newcastle ... did not
want to have the contract as much as CCLRC did'.

Why did CLRC want this contract - given its mission statement of promoting
science and technology?   Is it that CLRC is treated more generously by
public funding than the University of Newcastle and were overstaffed?

So there is disruption, if not more serious consequences, for the mailbase
staff in Newcastle.  Employment is moved from the starved north to the
overcrowded South.   Everyone will suffer from the inconvenience of
switching from mailbase to jisc-mail.    All the references that members of
this and other lists have given to discussions or files on the mailbase
system will shortly have to be changed.    Everyone will have to learn what
JISC stands for (Joint Infrastructure Standing Committee) and may have to
try to explain this to mystified visitors.

Perhaps most important, what we think of as the mailbase system, will be run
by an organisation that has no commitment to the social sciences or the
humanities.

I hope this example gets top academic prize for 'Counter-Productive
Procedures in Organisations'  because I would not like to think that there
have been many procedures in academia that are more inept or more damaging.

Ray Thomas, Social Sciences, Open University
Tel: 01908 679081 Fax 01908 550401
Email: [log in to unmask]
35 Passmore, Milton Keynes MK6 3DY