I was fascinated to read the latest RiverPath research, not least because I
have just returned from South Africa working on Science Communication out
there was very aware of the AIDS situation. I read about President Mbekes'
comments and was intrigued by what might happen next. I await the full
report with baited breath!

My real purpose for writing to the list, however, is a plea for help. I am
doing a comparitive study of Science Week activities in the UK compared to
South Africa (as I was fortunate enough to be involved in both this year!).
I am particularly interested to investigate if interactive activities
developed here can be successfully exported to countries that have a wide
range of different cultures. For example, one of our exhibits (a Concave
Mirror) alarmed some of the Zulu children that visited us in Durban because
as far as they're concerned mirrors attract evil spirits and lightning. Does
anyone know of any research done or useful references that look into
communicating science in different cultures? I know some work has been done
with Aboriginal children in Australia, but I just wonder if people devising
science activities avoid topics that conflict with cultural beliefs or
specifically try to address them.

I suppose it is like saying that you can't believe in both science and
religion..but most people find a way of justifying it to themselves!

If anyone has any thoughts or useful information on this, I would be very
grateful to hear it either on or off the list.

Thanks

Wendy

--------------------------
Wendy Sadler
Public Programmes Manager
Techniquest
Cardiff  CF10 5BW

T: 029 2047 5475
F: 029 2048 2517
W: http://www.tquest.org.uk/

Techniquest is a Company Limited by Guarantee,
registered in England & Wales, no. 1955696.
It is registered as a Charity, no. 517722.