Several years ago, Gerd Hombrecher at the Max-Planck-Institut fuer
Zuechtungsforschung, Koeln, asked me to come up with an "exhibit" to present
a basic introduction to genetics to the widest possible range of people.

Judging that human genetics was probably the best bet in terms of appeal, I
scripted a version of the fairly "classical" activity in which people
complete a computer-questionnaire about their eye-colour, tongue-rolling
ability etc. After answering only about ten such questions, you can often
find that you are unique among thousands of of other participants. People
LIKE to know that they are unique!

It is called "Ich bin einmalig" (I am unique) and can be visited on the Web
at http://www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~pub/ibe/WEB/attract.htm

I added a fairly concise hypertext introduction to human genetics at the end
of the questionaire section. This is available in English and German on the
web site, but the questionnaire activity is only available in the German
option.

Apparently, "Ich bin einmalig" continues to be a particularly popular item
for visitors to the web site.

I also arranged the production of a slicker-looking offline multimedia
"kiosk" version, running directly from a PC hard drive, suitable for
exhibition use. Since this is not limited by Internet bandwidth, it also
includes animation and sound which add considerably to the experience. The
idea was to maximise the programming cost-effectiveness by re-using most of
the same material in two different ways: for standard exhibition use and
also for the Internet. As it turned out, the British multimedia firm I chose
to produce the kiosk version really struggled before their Java programming
functioned reliably and quickly enough with early Microsoft Internet
Explorer
browser software. It came out OK in the end, and huge advances over the
past few years make similar projects far more straightforward.

I still believe there is great potential for combining Web-based and offline
multimedia "kiosk" software projects in this way.

[log in to unmask] | http://www.interactives.co.uk
"Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime."
I said it and I believe it | Ian Russell