From: Ian Russell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 November 2000 13:52
To: Psci-Com (E-mail)
Subject: Re: The blindness of science communicators

> What surprises me, is that science communicators seem completely blind to
> participation issues. All they seem to care about is bums on seats; if the

Wow. Nothing beats controversy for facilitating communication!

There was no response to my outline for a high-tech sciBAr-type
panel game, represesenting scientists, communicators, activists and
"public", unpredictably informal, yet creatively structured with proceedural
rules and networked laptops, and suitable for a packed lecture theatre or
even a TV audience who also get involved through a voting system. It could
combine a balance of viewpoints, enable equal opportunities to say anything
at all, control those macho windbags, and provide spectator-appeal for the
maximum possible number of people. Is it such a wacky idea?

Laptops can be networked without wires, and relayed onto a big screen with a
dataprojector. Some system requiring responses to previous comments, like
the one I described, could surely facilitate a much fairer and more
structured discussion without loss of informality. You'd just have to avoid
spilling your pint or glass of house red into the works.

I was looking forward to claiming royalties for the concept if it caught on!

Ian Russell * [log in to unmask]
Successful learning environments are
more exploratory than explanatory.
 * http://www.interactives.co.uk *