>If this piece of psudoscientific drivel is typical of the stuff put out by
>the Institute of Public Relations then I'm glad I'm not a member.

I don't see what this research has to do with the PR profession - other than
as convenient scapegoat. The research was published in the journal Autism
which "provides a major international forum for research of direct and
practical relevance to improving the quality of life for individuals with
autism or autism-related disorders."

According to the abstract: "Relative to a control group of students studying
literature, autism was reported to occur significantly more often in
families of students in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics.
Such results are consistent with the prediction. This study necessarily
involved anonymous self-report methods, so the reliability and validity of
diagnoses are unknown. Future replications should attempt a non-anonymous
study so as to establish if this association is robust."

Reference:
http://www.sagepub.co.uk/frame.html?http://www.sagepub.co.uk/journals/detail
s/issue/j0192v02i03.html

David