I read the original verse novel which used to be available in the UK from Serpent's Tail I think. Pretty entertaining altho I would have to say not quite as confronting and subversive as it imagined itself to be. But well worth a look all the same.
cheers
David
-----Original Message-----
From: robert kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 24 September 2000 09:48
Subject: The Mokey's Mask

Hi All,
          Last night saw Dorothy Porter's, The Monkey's Mask, at the Stables in Sydney, performed and produced by
Marianne Bryant.

This great work is one of the artistic alternatives to the Olympics, anyone in Sydney at the moment should go along, the music  by Sarah De Jong is worth the price of admission alone.

Dorothy's work is sexy, hot, confronting, funny and passionate, but mostly I found a great simile to the Humphrey Bogart character Sam Spade, from Dashiell Hammett's novel The Maltese Falcon, (Sam who get $25.00 dollars a day plus expenses)
this performance of Humphrey's was once describe in a critique as an expression of the characters built up homosexual frustration.

The Monkey's Mask I feel, has many similarities to this critique ( just can not remember who it was)

The stuff that dreams are made of, The Monkeys Mask, by Dorothy Porter.

Rob Kennedy