From: Roddy Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
To: Poetryetc <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sunday, April 09, 2000 2:41 PM
Subject: OUP etc

>>No, that's not 'just the way it is'.

Well, we can only imagine a vote whereby those who pine for the days when they could shell out £7 for the latest Tobias Hill slimmy which looked like a 60p pocket book can tick one box, the rest of us the other.

>>Enlisting 'an off-list poet' to make anonymous comments based on a misunderstanding of what I said is pretty desperate.

Okay.  Hang head in shame and all that.  I should have asked her / his permission.  I didn't consider the strategical propriety, I just thought the comment was an interesting third viewpoint, neither yours or mine, but you're right about that 'always'.  Good work does slip through the net.

>>'Struggling on £10,000 a year" is something a lot of people, poets and otherwise, have to do. A lot of people have to make do with less. I don't want anyone to go short, but you didn't have to join. 'Working poets'? That sounds like the aesthetics of Oi, or of Me and My Pals, or even The Daily Mail. Please reconsider your formulation before tunring into Gary Bushell.

By working poet, I'm sure you realise I mean those who also teach, review, edit and so on - a path you've been successfully treading far longer than I have.  Anyhow, for debatable political aesthetics and Me and My Pals, might I direct you to the brilliant (but occasionally maddening) The Deregulated Muse by O'Brien, S (Bloodaxe).  It's true though that, as a seldom-shaving gentlemen of near-leisure, I do look worryingly like Bushell some days.  Fear of ' Me and My Pals' syndrome is one of the biggest sticks in poetry.  You can get people to admit to filthy fetishes quicker than to any mild pangs for factionalism and elitism.   But as Bob sang, "Well, I'm liberal, but to a degree..."

Anyway this is decreasingly about OUP and more about testing how much badinage I can pursue before the master throws me to the mat.  I'd like to respond to comments by you and Mark on subsidies, but I have something to finish today, so that will have to be anon.

best

Roddy