From: Roddy Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
To: Poetryetc <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, April 08, 2000 4:37 PM
Subject: OUP etc

>>Before we get any further into this, let's have it understood that this is a lively disagreement, not a personal row.

Absolutely, Sean.  I'm not in the habit of rowing with my peers, especially with one who hasn't lost an argument since the heyday of disco.  But I don't think calling the OUP list 'little-lamented' was even a 'personal' opinion - that's just the way it is, though I don't expect those who were mucked about to agree.  I should also note that I imagine the OUP editors would offer a good defence as to why things declined into such a vulnerable state.

Re Chatto, it may be a small list, but with Bernard O'Donoghue, Gerard Woodward, Ruth Padel, John Fuller, Alan Jenkins and Kate Clanchy, it has enjoyed significant success in recent years, with many awards, including some bestowed by your good self.

>> 'Subsidy junkies' is too vague a term for the range of funding sources involved.

Yes, of course, I was being somewhat crass.  My anti-subsidy tendencies are not very fashionable.  I just hate to see dreck being subsidised through unwarranted handouts to publishers while working poets struggle on £10,000 a year.  There's a whole article to be written on and around this - the need to publish excellent, complex work which will never sell much versus the subsidy-raised hopes of heartbroken minor poets etc.  And OUP certainly wasn't a major culprit.

>> Picador started before OUP closed. Therefore the number of possibilities is reduced.

I still don't get what you think is gained by an increased number of possibilities.  There's still more than enough room for all the most talented poets - and to allow the waning ones to continue publishing in their dotage.  But an off-list poet with whom I discussed this put it in a way I hadn't thought of, thus:

"Sean seems to be equating "possibilities" being narrowed (i.e. the amount of new writing that can get published) with some qualitative decrease. Not so. As you say, other lists have picked up the best of the rest and new work of any significance will always be picked up by the likes of Don, Neil Astley and Robin. He is being a bit romantic if he thinks that "possibilities" are kind of "out there" waiting to enhance the canon. Nothing is further from the truth. The likes of Alice, Paul, you, me et al were not invited in, we gate-crashed. Energetic new writers will do that. It's irrelevant how many invites are printed."

yrs gatecrashingly,

Roddy