(Reposting this since I sent it over three hours ago and it hasn't appeared - ignore when it rears its head again later - RcL)

>Aside from the gender issue (again), do people really rate Wendy
>Cope that highly as a poet? I'm interested because most poets /
>critics that I've spoken too seem to dismiss her poetry without
>really discussing it as undemanding light verse aimed at a sort of
>Classic FM / Daily Mail  / middle class audience. Any comments
>appreciated....

Just as a good comedian has lines ready to react to the most witty or
foul-mouthed of hecklers, Wendy Cope has answers to all the many accusations
which have been piled at her doorstep.  In an interview in Gerry Cambridge's
formalist journal The Dark Horse, a few years ago, she spoke at length about
this.  She feels most of the bile comes from envy at the fact that Faber
publish her.  She may be right, since most poets are still convinced that
they are Faber poets manqué(e)s and that their ramblings and bramblings are
being overlooked, while Faber publish, shock horror!, light verse, instead
of 'innovative' or 'spiritual' work.

I think it's important to consider a couple of points re the poem posted
(which is, as has been spotted, not among her better pieces) - firstly,
don't assume that Cope isn't also subtly ripping the piss from the snooty
female narrator, who likes to talk at dinner parties.  One hopes and assumes
that Cope is not the relentlessly urbane and smug narrator of many of her
poems.  To me, it's a basic response to poetry which in any sense has a
narrative structure - to ask what the narrator is saying, followed by, what
is the poet saying about the narrator?

Secondly, in Cope's work in general, it must be obvious that the words 'men'
and 'women' don't stand for all men / women or even men / women in general,
any more than you would expect, in poetry from Tonga or Bhutan, descriptions
of behaviour to be adaptable to men / women everywhere.  Cope's work is
firmly rooted in the middle aged, middle-brow middle class of England - even
more specifically, maybe, in the London liberal middle class.  The problem
is that this make-up is too close to home for so many poets and poetry
readers.  Dirty laundry and all that.

It should be noted that Cope hasn't published a book since I was in short
trousers (three recent poems in Craig Raine's new journal of London liberal
middle class literary delights were fairly forgettable), though her
offspring, Sophie Hannah, continues apace - albeit with a slightly different
angle on the fecklessness of men.

As to whether Wendy Cope is rated, I'd say yes, at least by her bank
manager - and we have popular poets who are far, far more crass.  I'm told
she's an extremely nice woman.  Odd how her time in the limelight seemed to
correspond with Mrs Thatcher's.

Roddy