From: [log in to unmask]>Viv Kitson
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: Reality & existence

Erminia - You must admit that, as a male, to be compared with Ulysses is very flattering! I have not seen your "image", but, if having done so, I compared you to Sappho, would you find that flattering? (Can't be bothered going to the bookshelves to find my volume of Sappho, but I do recall that the cover carries the one (?) extant image of her: pen to lips, the Grecian hair style of the time...very attractive!)

I did, however, go to the bookshelves to get Homer's "Odyssey" - the Penguin E.V. Rieu translation.(And just a short aside to WA list members here: purchased at Alberts Bookshop, Forrest Place, Perth. God! How long ago was that?). His rendering of the passage you provided seems far more stilted and "old fashioned" than that you provided.

I ask this because (although I studied Homer's "Iliad" at university, and have read it since, I can't recall having read the "Odyssey", but probably did read the volume from the bookshelves, contemporaneously with Dante, when I was 15 or 16), if I am to read or re-read the Odyssey, I'd like to do so in a "good", readable translation. Any recommendations Erminia? Others?

Cheers,
Viv