Dear All,

It's been instructive being in touch with you for a short while.  Unfortunately, 50+ e-mails a time is too much to keep up with so I am unsubscribing.

If you want to keep in touch personally, you have my e-mail address.  My interests are:

                  exchanging poems (I'm not paranoiac about plagiarism);
                  info about mags and e-zines;
                  poetics;
                  translating;
         and   poets as commentators on their own work.

Although I believe poets have a marginal interest in things like philosophy, criticism and linguistics, I think we do best by gleaning what we need from these fields as we go along and as the need arises.

I found the recent strand comparing words to numbers, and the bit about the 'algebra' of poetry, both pretty fascinating.  I have more than a passing interest in mathematics.  But there is a limit.  The important thing for poets (for this one at least) is to keep writing poetry.  So reluctantly I sign off, perhaps to return when I have more time.

All the best,

Alan Marshfield.