I'll second that about The Long Firm. The chapter in "Jack the Hat's" voice
is a tour de force. A definite good read though some clearly would not
approve. Arnott, by the way, is (at least this is what he told me in an
interview) that he was influenced by Brechtian ideas about the close
connections between crime, show biz and, of course, capitalism.

At one point he said: "Brecht constantly uses criminals and gangsters to
look at capitalism. Thereıs people, particularly dewy-eyed anarchists and
liberals, who think crime is some sort of oppositional activity. Sometimes
it is - that robbing a bank is a big symbolic gesture against capitalism.
But most crime isnıt robbing a bank. So often they miss the point, criminals
donıt think of themselves as being criminals, they think theyıre going to
work and they want something that pays well, thatıs got good hours."

Cheers,
Jill