AUSTRALIA'S FOREMOST ENGLISH-CHINESE LITERARY

JOURNAL OUT NOW!

Our catchword: the Centre is everywhere and it is here!

 Otherland: Motherland without M.

 Otherland, Vol., 6, No. 1, 2000, Australia's foremost bilingual Chinese and
English literary magazine, edited by Ouyang Yu, is out now in Melbourne,
Australia.

 This issue features in its Chinese pages the mainland Chinese poets Yang
Xie, Ah Jian, Yang Ke, Jiang Tian, Tie Mei, Yang Chunguang, Lin Zhongcheng,
Ma Fei, Xu Jiang and Zhao Xia, the New York based poet Yan Li and
Melbourne-based Ouyang Yu, fiction writers Chen Dachao and Yu Shuping, as
well as prose writers like Ya Mo, Wan Fujian, and Xu Xiaoying, and
criticisms by Lu Wei, Chen Zhengfa and Zhang Ming, from the mainland China,
Malaysia, USA, and Australia.

 In its English pages, poets from China, Taiwan, UK, USA, New Zealand and
Australia are featured such as Hong Ying, Jill Chan, Chen Kehua, Hai Zi, Ji
Xian, Liat Kirby, Ma Shiju, Ouyang Yu, Shi Xiaojun, Xi Chuan, Yi Sha, Yu
Jian, Yu Nu and Zhang Yougong. There is also a long interview with Zhong Dao
the editor of an underground Chinese literary magazine Shi Can Kao.

 Support us if you can by purchasing a copy. Make your money order or cheque
payable to:

 Yuanxiang (otherland) Literary Journal
 P.O.Box 200, Kingsbury, 3083, Victoria, Australia

 Email your enquiries at:

(in case the first email malfunctions)

Phone enquiries in Australia:

 Ph: 03 9467 8169
 Fax: 03 9467 8169
 Mobile: 041 934 0564

Phone enquiries from overseas:

 Ph: 61 3 9467 8169
 Fax: 61 3 9467 8169
 Mobile: 61 419 340 564

 Price (Individual and postage included): USA and Canada: $11.50; Australia
and New Zealand: $11.50; £5.00; Europe: Euro. $11.50; Singapore: $11.50; GST
inclusive.

 Price (Institutional and postage included): USA and Canada: $25.00;
Australia and New Zealand: $25.00; UK: £15.00; Europe: Euro. 25.00; and
Singapore: $25.00, GST inclusive.

 Or you can find the magazine in Readings, Collected Works Bookshop, Foreign
Languages Bookshop, China Books Melbourne, Po Hong Bookshop, Deakin
University Bookshop in Geelong, La Trobe University Bookshop, Victorian
University of Technology Bookshop, Melbourne University Bookshop, Co-op
Bookshop at ADFA, Canberra; China Books Brisbane and China Books Sydney.

 Since its first publication in 1996, Otherland has been widely known as a
magazine devoted to the publication of quality poetry and fiction throughout
the Chinese speaking and writing world. In 2000, the magazine has
experienced a major shift from a mono-language one to a bilingual one,
bringing it closer to an English-speaking and writing world. It has been
reviewed in the Age (15/7/00) and Australian Book Review (September, 2000)
and has merited a mention in Cambridge Companion to Australian Literature
published in 2000 by Cambridge University Press.

Please note: Editor Dr Ouyang Yu's two English poetry books are still
available by mail order: Moon over Melbourne and Other Poems (1995) and
Songs of the Last Chinese Poet (1997), which was shortlisted for NSW Premier
's Prize in 1998, both priced at A$18.00 plus GST and the postage ($1.50).

His book "Representing the Other: Chinese in Australian Fiction: 1888-1988"
has just been published in Chinese in China, available at $25.00/copy by
mail order. His first Chinese novel, The Angry Wu Zili, published in Beijing
by an underground press at the end of the 20th century, is also available at
$24.95/copy.