On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Jon Corelis wrote...

>Interview with a Gentleman

Jon,

I enjoyed this greatly, though sometimes I found it was *guilty*
enjoyment that I was experiencing. In many ways the Gentleman seems the
brother of the Kipling of "If", though I don't suppose you intended a
straightforward recapitulation of that poem. There are certainly
ironies, but I found it difficult to decide where they were. That's not
a problem - it adds to the interest of the poem.

Some of the sentiments the Gentleman expresses are straightforward and
admirable, some are pompous and clichéd, and the ending is of course
extremely sexist. That ending is very important, because the rest is
seductively agreeable, and one might go along with it more or less
unquestioningly. But then one reads the Gentleman's treatment of women
as (mere) objects of desire, and goes back to reconsider the other
replies more critically.

And then one starts to think about the Interviewer and his choice of
questions, and wonders about the relationship between the two, and
perhaps if the Gentleman himself is being ironic and having a joke at
the Interviewer's expense.

All these aspects are kept nicely ambiguous. If I were an editor, I'd
publish the poem.

Best,
--
Peter