Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 16:50:46 +1000
Subject: John Forbes on the Olympics
From: "Hugh Tolhurst" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: [log in to unmask]

(from) THE STUNNED MULLET

lips bruised blue
from the impact of the shore
form words you applaud
because, after all, a fish is speaking
it's perfunctory though,
like the scattered clapping
a bronze medal at the Olympics gets
as you just pass muster
under a distant benign regard
only the fish thinks odd,

        John Forbes 1950-1998

=====
"Why is it not possible for me to doubt that I have never been on the moon?  And how
could I try to doubt it?  First and foremost, the supposition that perhaps I have
been there would strike me as idle.  Nothing would follow from it, nothing be
explained by it.  It would not tie in with anything in my life...  Philosophical
problems occur when language goes on holiday.  We must not separate ideas from life,
we must not be misled by the appearances of sentences: we must investigate the
application of words in individual language-games"      - Ludwig Wittgenstein