Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:56:34 +0100
Subject: Re: re de sade et al... and Fyodor
From: "domfox" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: [log in to unmask]

The Roman lictors carried faeces, sorry, fasces
(schoolboy humour, to go
with my schoolboy Latin): bundles of staves, or rods
for the people's
backs...

Fascism != Nazism? I can agree to that: two different
countries. Less a
nuance than a broad range of historical distinctions;
except that there have
been other fascisms than Italian fascism, so the term
must have some more
general currency beyond the particularities of Italian
political history.
Still, it's Nazism I know more about, having read
rather than burned a copy
of _Mein Kampf_ - amongst other things...

To Winifred Holtby, add Storm Jameson ("what nerve has
atrophied in the
torturer or, worse, is sensually moved?"), author of
_Swastika Night_.

- Dom

=====
"Why is it not possible for me to doubt that I have never been on the moon?  And how
could I try to doubt it?  First and foremost, the supposition that perhaps I have
been there would strike me as idle.  Nothing would follow from it, nothing be
explained by it.  It would not tie in with anything in my life...  Philosophical
problems occur when language goes on holiday.  We must not separate ideas from life,
we must not be misled by the appearances of sentences: we must investigate the
application of words in individual language-games"      - Ludwig Wittgenstein