I have been assured by a devout electrician that St. Elmo is the patron of
his brotherhood. A candidate?

St. Barbara, her of the bolt of lightning, is assumed to be in reality
Shango (or Chango, depending on the nationality of the speaker. In all
cases accent on the o), the West African, Caribbean and Brazilian god
whose attributes and powers include war, male potency, and lightning. He is
patron of iron, and his favorite residence is in the crown of the royal
palm, which is distinguished from other of its genus by the long stem
protruding straight up from among the fronds--sword, phallus, and lightning
rod--many are struck by lightning--but also fountain of lightning bolts
that shoot _out_ from it. Go into any botanica (source for herbal and magic
remedies, witchcraft items and other religious paraphernalia) in any North
American city (the cult has spread with the Black Diaspora) and ask for a
figure of Shango and without hesitation you will be given a Saint Barbara.

The apparent transvestism of this most _macho_ god's Christian disguise
troubles no one. It's not uncommon for women to be followers of Shango.
When the god "rides" them and they go into a trance state the women become
shamelessly male, rather graphically acting out the crudest of masculine
sexual behavior.