"When he said (in 'Posture of Unease')

But for all you I
Have neglected, ignored,
Left to stew in your own juices,
Not been that friend that is approaching,
I ask forgiveness, a song new like rain.
Please sing it to me.

I felt the 'open' interpretation of this as an address
to the reader was
being played with in an uninteresting way -- I
couldn't get many other
readings going, yet years of reading Ashbery had left
me uncomfortable with
that one. I felt I'd been cried wolf to one more
time,"

Yes, as a matter of fact this one stuck in my gut too.
Empty gesture. Like, how can we sing this new song to
you John?

What is Flow Chart doing? I read this comic once where
these two groups of aliens were chasing each other
through time. Eventually, far in the future, one group
put their machine into overdrive - programmed it to go
forward such a huge number of years - 25 billion or
something - that there was some doubt as to wheter
there would be any future left for them to travel in.
Actually, that turned out to be the point - they were
hoping that time would be shaped like a loop, and that
they would emerge  in the distant past! Ashes seems to
be me to be trying this sorta trick in Flow Chart - to
be intent on driving so far into the subjective
details of his own life that he reaches the subjective
details of everyone's life, which I s'pose you could
objective details. Sorta like an ethnomethodological
poetics...

Another metaphor for an aspect of Flow Chart: Miles
Davis' huge jazz-rock fusion things from the early
70s, where he just plays and plays. The details are
contingent, it is the TECHNIQUE that is on show, that
is the 'content', almost.

Sorry I can't go into this further now, have to make
some toast.

Cheers
Scott

=====
"Why is it not possible for me to doubt that I have never been on the moon?  And how
could I try to doubt it?  First and foremost, the supposition that perhaps I have
been there would strike me as idle.  Nothing would follow from it, nothing be
explained by it.  It would not tie in with anything in my life...  Philosophical
problems occur when language goes on holiday.  We must not separate ideas from life,
we must not be misled by the appearances of sentences: we must investigate the
application of words in individual language-games"      - Ludwig Wittgenstein