What about Ally McCoist?  Or Ally Fraser, the villain
from Auf Wiedersehen Pet?  I didn't know there were
any girls called Ally... I hear there's some anorexic
American on a comedy show but I haven't seen it.
Anyway don't tell us which you are, AK, it's more fun
not to know.

and I teach at the University of Glamorgan, since
someone asked.

Cliquey.. oh hell, let's go for it. I think there are
some folk on the list who have two distinct tones,
depending on whether they're replying to something
from someone in their in-group, in which case they
sound very chummy, or an outsider, in which case they
can, albeit unintentionally (I expect), sound lofty
and dismissive.  Headmasterly, perhaps. The post from
R Lumsden which I'd initially overlooked was,
actually, a prime example of that; if someone talked
to me in that tone face to face I'd be tempted to
smack them in the mouth. Anyway this is my last till
God knows when, cos I'm clearing up work to go on holiday.