"Is Zionism an hysterical Jewish separatism?"

Zionism is an excellant comparison to make! So is the
ideology of the Black Muslims. Like radical feminism,
they're both reactionary responses to very real
oppressions. It's darned hard to argue against Zionism
without being called an anti-Semite, it's darned hard
arguing against radical feminism without being called
a sexist beast (that's why I usually leave it for
female anti-radical fem feminists to slug it out, when
I can!

"Manhood" according to A.D. is a social artifact, not
a biological reality."

OK, I'm listening, but what sort of social artifact
spans so many cultures and epochs and contexts as
Dworkin's sponge-like concept of 'manhood'? I would
argue that it is a de facto piece of biologism. What
are the criteria for its emergence out of a social
context, if it is a social artifact?

"She wants rid of male dominance, and the forms of
gendered being it
sustains... it's not the same as wanting men
exterminated, or believing
that desire or potential to commit rape is an inherent
part of the male
psyche and that therefore women will only be free when
all men are either
dead or placed under curfew."

It's a bit like Christians who say 'we don't hate
gays, we just hate what they do every day with other
gays and  what lots of their friends do and their
lifestyle and most of the things they identify with
and...' I mean, what's left to love? Dworkin defines
men by reference to the concept 'manhood.'  Hate
'manhood', hate men.

It's interesting to note, here, that Dworkin has
consistently worked alongside extreme right-wing
bornagain Jesus freaks and crypto-fascists in opposing
things like pornography. Perhaps this bloc is not as
odd as it might at first seem?

Cheers
Scott Hamilton

PS I help to edit a political paper and one recent
article, or rather discussion piece, we featured was
called 'Sex Workers of the World Unite'. It was
written by a mate of mine, a woman who identifies as a
materialist feminist, and attacks what she sees as the
reactionary nature of Dworkin's stance on porn and the
sex industry. I could post it, if you think it will
contribute something to this debate.

"Manhood" according to A.D. is a social artifact, not
a biological reality.
She wants rid of male dominance, and the forms of
gendered being it
sustains. I don't want to argue about whether this is
a sensible,
politically sound or philosophically coherent notion.
I just want it
understood that it's not the same as wanting men
exterminated, or believing
that desire or potential to commit rape is an inherent
part of the male
psyche and that therefore women will only be free when
all men are either
dead or placed under curfew.

Is Zionism an hysterical Jewish separatism?

- Dom

=====
"Why is it not possible for me to doubt that I have never been on the moon?  And how
could I try to doubt it?  First and foremost, the supposition that perhaps I have
been there would strike me as idle.  Nothing would follow from it, nothing be
explained by it.  It would not tie in with anything in my life...  Philosophical
problems occur when language goes on holiday.  We must not separate ideas from life,
we must not be misled by the appearances of sentences: we must investigate the
application of words in individual language-games"      - Ludwig Wittgenstein