somebody wrote:
"And while I am waiting for the kettle to boil for my
coffee I would
add that I think WAllace Stevens and Elizabeth Bishop
belong more to
the intellectuals than to the poets, although they
were poets on
occasion."

Who decided on these two warring and irreconciliable
tribes, poets and intellectuals? Can't one be both?
Were Eliot, Pound, Coleridge, Goethe etc etc not
intellectuals? What exactly is an intellectual,
anyway? I find this distinction a bit puzzling...I've
always been attracted to Silliman's dictum that a poet
today 'must be a theoretician as well as a poet'. Or
David Antin: 'If Robert Lowell was a poet I don't want
to be a poet if Socrates was a poet I'll think about
it"

Cheers
Scott Hamilton

PS i haven't read the whole of the thread I'm
responding to so forgive me if I have the wrong end of
the stick...