>The Wendy Cope poem is:
>a) a sequence of metrical & sociological clichés;
>b) a sequence of metrical & sociological clichés parading as satire;
>
>c) both of the above.

I may not think this was a great poem, but I did laugh, & ruefully at
times. Yes, it is on some level both of the above, but on another level
it's sort of a verse version of the kind of thing Christine Lavin does so
well. My wife & her best friend will laugh with recognition & then even
more wittily puncture my & my friend's more than occasional failures in
precisely the manner indicated...

I hate to admit it but...

	sometimes the mirror does reflect

(speaking only from personal experience of  course...)

Doug

{{Oh, I went to reply, which usually sends a note to poetryetc, but this
time it would have gone direct to Joe Duemer; has something happened to the
listserve?}}

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320	(b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

	landscape: 1
		(for thomas a. clark)

alongthehorizongrewanunbrokenlineoftrees

			bpNichol