Alison wrote with customary flair:

> You know, I tend to agree with Alan Garner's
> statement (and is that the
> same Alan Garner of The Owl Service, Elidor and so
> on? a really great
> writer: I just bought his latest book for my son,
> and it looks amazing.
> But everything else seems to be out of print.)

Yes, it's the same person.  The essays are wonderful.
For the record, Garner is a manic depressive who has
prolonged and agonising periods of block (to the
extent of complete life-paralysis), which is perhaps
why I find the fact that he could say "There's no such
thing as writer's block, only writer's impatience"
rather inspiringly defiant.

> I seem to have longer and longer fallows, where I
> write absolutely no
> poems at all.  I've always been fairly relaxed about
> them, thinking of
> them as refilling, but the most recent one lasted
> six months.  I've
> always thought of them as part of the natural
> psychal of things.

Yes - I try to see them the same way, but not always
successfully.  My productivity has been negligible for
the past two years, which has been a frequent source
of despair and has led to much desperate struggling to
find magical sources of "unblocking" (sadly not
forthcoming so far).

I think it's a combination of "not enough
headspace"-type block (the past two years have been
pretty chaotic, change-laden and
mental-energy-demanding), and increasingly
strangulating standards (I don't seem to be willing to
let myself "write rubbish" anymore in the hope that
something might come of it - ideas I might once have
run with are now discarded out of hand).

Perhaps my resonance with Garner's statement is an
intuitive sense that it's my own frustration /
impatience that is keeping me blocked: the demanding
product-oriented bit of me tries to impose demands on
the creative bit, which then goes obdurately mute.

As far as the "professional writers don't get block"
stance goes, I don't really relate to this.  For me,
creative activity (as opposed to the writing I do in
my professional life) is more *listening* to something
faint and subtle than wilfully generating product, and
when I can't hear anything I *really* can't hear
anything, and I know it.  And to "make something up"
to fill in the silence seems an insult to the creative
endeavour, which for me is definitely about "telling
the truth" at a level that runs below the surface
frazzle of the conscious mind. I can't always do it,
but I know when I have and when I haven't, and work I
produce that doesn't tell the truth at this level
always ends up being discarded.  Not to mention
filling me with self-loathing :-(

Cheers,
Kona.