"If someone told you that they were interested in reading poetry, but
knew very little about it, and wanted to learn more, where would you
point them?" - Peter Howard

William Carlos Williams worked marvelously well with 3rd and 4th graders (8
to 10 year olds). Taking my queue from Kenneth Koch, I'd read and hand out a
few Williams' poems and, after a break, the students wrote poems of their
own "in the style of" with some amazing results. What happened for the
students was that they were empowered by the act of writing a poem, it
wasn't impossible after all! Now it was personal.

For high school students (13-18 years old) I've read Williams, Ginsberg, the
lyrics of Bob Dylan and Robert Hunter, Walt Whitman, Ferlinghetti, John
Weiners, Barbara Guest, Diane di Prima, Joanne Kyger, Denise Lervertov,
Robert Creeley, Michael McClure, Quincy Troop, Amiri Baraka, Philip Whalen,
Lew Welch, Neruda...the field is more open and the idea is to overcome years
of dreading poetry.

For people my own age (51 this Saturday)? I hand them a copy of Rumi or
Hafiz.

Showin' my age I'm sure,
Frank

Frank Parker