Geoffrey Hill was certainly brilliant, (talking about Coriolanus mostly).

I liked especially his idea of the fruitful tension in most Shakespeare
plays between the fatalistic and the miraculous.

But - those who heard the broadcast - wasn't there a sleight of hand in his
argument? He started by asking for a polyphonic reading of Shakespeare, but
ended by arguing  for a single interpretation of the key scene of Coriolanus
(where C  is persuaded by his mother) and caricaturing as sentimental the
response that C is right to give in to maternal pressure. I think that
Shakespeare leaves both ethical possibilities open, and the power of the
scene comes precisely from the incompatibility of the two responses. By
arguing purely for the tough Roman virtues, Hill runs the risk of reducing
the scene to something less complex.

Hill talked very well about C as the hero who doesn't know who he is.  I
think it's possible to see his mother as the one who exposes this, and his
decision not to destroy the city as at least a step towards recognising who
and what he is.

George
George Simmers
Snakeskin Poetry Webzine is at