This is a general trawl for information and/or comment. A question has been
brought up on another poetry list about 'first publication' in both print
and electronic media. I have always tended to the conservative on this
matter but was wondering if, indeed, some 'protocols' existed with respect
to electronic publication.

The query is reproduced below:

"- I understood that as long as a poem had not appeared before in a certain
country it was considered unpublished, so that you could publish in a
magazine once in US, once in UK, once is Australia etc. Is this true?

- Does anybody know where I can find a list of protocols for electronic
publishing? Do you have to acknowledge where a work's appeared in print? Is
'first electronic publication' a category unto itself? And if so, is the
nationality of the web's server at all relevent? (ie. would an appearance in
Jacket be considered '1st Australian electronic publication?')"

As far as the first question goes I only send previously published work - no
matter where it was first published - if the editor indicates that's OK but
have been told more than once that I'm being a bit precious. As to the
second, my feeling would be that, as electronic publication isn't
country-specific in the way print is, the residence of the editor, etc, is
not relevant. But, hey, I might be dead wrong.

Any thoughts, leads would be most appreciated, especially from the e-editors
amongst us.

Cheers,
Jill