> > On the one hand, a civil society needs only to punish crimes
>
> should a crime be punished or should a person who has committed a crime be
> rehabilitated?  what does punishment gain us?  we see crime in light of
the
> justice system.

>From The Philosophy of the Boudoir
De Sade

"That law which endangers and abuses the life of men is impracticable,
unjust, inadmissible...
(...)
The second reason why death penalty should be abolished is that it
has never prevented or repressed a crime, since it commits itself one
every time that a criminal is brought to the guillotine. This punishment
must be suppressed since there is nothing crueler than to make a man
loose his life as a consequence for having killed another man. In this way,
instead of having one man missing, you will have two, an arithmetic
calculation
that can please only the  head-man or the imbeciles.

(..)
I  hereby declare of having none of the perverted intention which are
supposed to
corrupt men. (...) Too bad! for those who can read only
the evil intention of the author of a philosophical  disquisition .
Are we sure they wouldn't feel end in being
corrupted by the simple reading of Seneca or Charron?" But I am not talking
to this kind of people, I am talking only to those who will be able to read
me withoout feeling endangered."

Ciao, Erminia