Hi there Peter,

With most folk I thought the poem worked best without the
5th stanza.

I'm troubled though, as to the final product, and the effect this
'final' 4th stanza has on the poem as a whole.  It's difficult to
express -- I think I feel uneasy about a poem whose frisson
depends (or perhaps involves / suggests) upon the notion of
potential violence against women.  I mean the power of this
poem (in 4-stanza form) is gained from the feeling that the
narrator is capable of such thoughts / acts -- no matter how
ambiguous the reading may be, no matter how open to personal
reading . . . . it's there, as a suggestive inference within the
poem's structure.

I can only approach this particular issue on a personal level --
if I wrote this poem, I would be pleased with the effect, but I
would have serious doubts as to whether I should publish --
due to the fact that the 'effect' (tension) created depends on
the reader's sense / knowledge / experience of violence against
women in particular . . . and I'm not at all sure whether I would
want this kind of literary / imaginative effect to be propagated,
given the awful nature of the subject.

Am I making sense?  I am concerned about the links between
a 'powerful' poem and 'power'.  Despite the fact that this effect
has been created unintentionally / unconsciously, I would argue
against this type of poem being included in a collection -- for
the reason that, by way of seemingly innocent artifice, it depends
on real horrors for its success as a poem.

Again, this is just my personal take on the issue -- I feel there
is some element of moral responsibility with regard to a writer
and what they decide to publish . . . the dark side is there, but
as soon as others are implicated or involved, it becomes a
different matter . . . a matter of scruples, perhaps.

Anyway -- a complex issue, which I for one would seriously have
to consider with regard to this sort of poem (perhaps moreso
since it *is* a good poem).

Andy