It's questionable  h o w  such an author as Chaucer 'intended' such a tale
to be received - and received by whom, anyhow? Who were Chaucer's audience?
( I suspect a good many of them were deeply indebted to a Jew or Lombard, as
the phrase goes) Would they have just nodded, taken the so-called
'anti-Semitism as something common or garden, the necessary spice ( horrible
as that may seem), and listened ( or read) on? What would that tell us about
what 'Jew' signified to these people? It certainly meant something, as it
did to the people of York who initiated the massacre. Talking of which, the
question arises of why such an event happened ( which Robin Hamilton
omits) - a reading of certain parts of Matt.'s gospel; the interpretation of
that reading; economic pressures; economic jealousy; the peculiar situation
of the North of England at the time, and so on and so on. Far be it from me
to say that our perspective on the nature of Medieval life ( God, of any
historical period whatsoever!) is still languishing in one or other
simplicities - but I'd dare to suggest, forbearing from all offence of
course, that the whole question of Medieval Jewry may be connected to our
reading, and its accuracy, of the Life surrounding and implying those Jews
( and, note, vice-versa)

Colin G Hughes