Ah, Hume - I've stood in his grave in Edinburgh many a time; indeed, getting
through there as often as I can my pleasures in this direction find
themselves consummated often. Anyhow, Schopenhauer - rarely a man to get
things 'a point' - caught Hume up short by perfectly describing his error as
that of all Empiricists, as beginning with the object and finding the self
all horribly dissolved, a set of things gathered up only by a feat of
illusion; and, conversely, the error of  Rationalists as beginning with the
self and finding the object a difficult, tenuous thing hidden beneath the
curtains of language and category, a great train of filtration before it
reached the high self of ego. Unbalancing act as far as I have seen.

A good piece nonetheless