Dear Alison

In certain moods, Yeats is less interesting
than Ian Thorpe. In Doug's post, the principal
enthusiasm attached to the swimming, though
the subject title was as above.

There's an excellent poem in the just printed
BREAD by Philip Hammial (Black Pepper 2000)
called "Howard's Face" - watching the PM admiring
our swimmers, I thoughtof Hammial's excellent
lines describing said face. One felt sorry for the
swimmers who had caused such facial despicability.

Unlike many, I prefer much earlier Yeats (partly
for the Blue politics of Later Yeats), my completed
second collection includes an imitation/parody
of the early decadent Yeats piece, "John Kinsella's
Lament for Miss Mary Moore" - which is a fine Yeats
lament for (to use 1890's parlance) a lady of easy
virtue/ a whore.

Sydney poet Laurie Duggan dislikes all Yeats,
and that too is an interesting position. What was
that you were saying about a 'pained protest'?
Sunday's are for worship aren't they, it's not
a day where correct weight or correct writing
should be paid too much attention in my view.

Yours worshipfully

Hugh Tolhurst