Bella Beatrice, figment of my adolescent yearnings...Some centuries ago, my
forebears were under the Norman yoke and a quarter of a century ago I wrote
this (part of a longer sequence):

Hi swencten swythe the wrecce men
of the land   mid castelweorces
Drinking Anglo-Saxon beer in 1137,
if you could
   and pined heom untellendlice pining
Truncated translation: "these wretched working men
put to castle works
         and tortured them
with unspeakable tortures"

And I could speak of the construction
of the pyramids
     or Ezra Pound
and the "filthy, unkillable
infants of the very poor"
and we shall inherit the earth
Pace   Eliot   Pound   fascisti

Ergo: playing with, exploring, identity and language can be such fun;
particularly when you're in your 20s and have the confidence and interest to
really become engrossed in the beguiling possibilities. But tempered by
Dante's own observation on his poetical heroes who "Parlavan rado, con voci
soavi.".

Cheers,
Viv Kitson

"beatrice alighieri" (??) wrote on Friday, April 14, 2000 5:05 PM