The Roman lictors carried faeces, sorry, fasces (schoolboy humour, to go
with my schoolboy Latin): bundles of staves, or rods for the people's
backs...

Fascism != Nazism? I can agree to that: two different countries. Less a
nuance than a broad range of historical distinctions; except that there have
been other fascisms than Italian fascism, so the term must have some more
general currency beyond the particularities of Italian political history.
Still, it's Nazism I know more about, having read rather than burned a copy
of _Mein Kampf_ - amongst other things...

To Winifred Holtby, add Storm Jameson ("what nerve has atrophied in the
torturer or, worse, is sensually moved?"), author of _Swastika Night_.

- Dom