> Still find trouble believing that people equate what de Sade wrote with
> what he did.

Well, it's not wholly unhuman to suspect that there may be some kind of
connection between i) abducting, poisoning, torturing and raping women, and
ii) writing about how much fun it is to abduct, poison, torture and rape
women. Or, as a naive attendee at a book-signing might put it, "Where do you
get your ideas from, Monsieur Sade?"

It so happens that utter shits are sometimes persecuted for the wrong
reasons. The authorities were more bothered about de Sade's "blasphemy" and
liking for "sodomy" than they were about his rapes. That's nothing new. So,
shall we cheerfully assimilate him to the pantheon of gorgeous romantic
blasphemous sodomites? That is, do we concur with the authorities that the
rapes really didn't matter all that much, that the important thing is the
spectacular naughtiness of the man's language? Is a loathing of rapists and
of literary celebrations of rape merely a matter of bourgeois literary
taste?

I don't think that we are faced with a choice between *equating* "what de
Sade wrote with what he did" and denying that there is any connection, any
continuity. I wouldn't "equate" what Hitler wrote with what he did, either -
the term seems rather misleading somehow - "and yet", as George Steiner
might say. Rather, I'd see what de Sade wrote, his writing, as one of the
things he did amongst all the other things he did; and I'd want to insist
that he wasn't a different person when he wrote, a person elevated above the
thoughts and motives and actions of the "other" de Sade, the "pathetic
criminal". So: he hurt some women and he wrote some books and he wrote some
more books and he hurt some more women. The books were not books about
gardening. The women were not cardboard cut-outs. Blood, vomit, ink: it's
all praxis.

Why do we continue to indulge the Fred West of the ancien regime? Or rather,
why do we continue to indulge ourselves with him? Is it possible that a
*prose style*, of all things, could be so valuable?

- Dom