Giacomo Leopardi.

New Version by  John Heath-Stubbs     (followed by the other ones)

To the Moon  -
translated by  JOHN HEATH-STUBBS

O gracious Moon, I call to mind again
It was a year ago I climbed this hill
To gaze upon you in agony;
And you were hanging then above that wood,
Filling it all with light, as you do now.
But dim and tremulous your face appeared,
Seen through the tears that rose beneath my eyelids,
My life being full of travail; as it is still -
It does not change, 0 my sweet Moon. And yet
Remembrance helps, and reckoning up
The cycles of my sorrow. How sweet the thought
That brings to mind things past, when we are young -
When long's the road for hope, for memory brief -
Though they were sad, and though our pain endures.