----- Original Message -----
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 04 August 2000 10:53
Subject: RE: Politics IN poetry

| As a means of checking aesthetic credentials, I don't think any simplistic
binary politics will do: unless you can begin to  accommodate the
subversivenesses within what might appear stylistically to be a deeply
conservative poem (Swift, say), or conversely spot the conservatisms that
can lie behind work that appears stylistically and politically radical (some
of Olson, perhaps).  It's just not good enough to say something like "This
poem uses the language of the rulers, and so is politically suspect.  End of
argument."  Crude polemic and agitprop are the antithesis of poetry, which
alerts more subtle and - dare I say - more interesting energies.

Hear, hear, Alison. Very little that is any use to us is binary. Most things
are either yes, no or maybe and the maybe is multifarious and the yes and no
are ambiguous

The stories of politics that are told in popular media are not good rich
stories but spivs tales told for ulterior motives