Dear Clayton,

Pardon me, please, I know your question regarding public reading was
directed to Hugh and surely he can address stage jitters.
One bit of advice I got early on about once you're up there and begin
reading is to read aloud about half as slow as you think you sound. Nervous
tension has a tendency to make a reader speed through all of those carefully
chosen words (the poems). Allow for pauses, silences and rhythms. Own the
space, it's okay, you were invited.

I've even gone for a walk in the woods or on the beach reciting the poems,
feeling them in mouth from my diaphragm, experiencing the rhythms, sounds,
pauses, breathing. It's in the poems, those notations not unlike music.

you'll do great...
-fp
Frank Parker
http://now.at/frankshome